Values
I was watching the movie "Mona Lisa Smile" the other day and it really got me thinking. I've been thinking alot about values, my own personal ones and the ones that society has. I think that these days we are living in a morality-free zone where people make their choices ungoverned by concience. People are getting raped and murdered, and kids are being exploited and exposed to obscene material on tv and on the internet. I sometimes think that living in a time like the time Mona Lisa Smile was set (the 1950's) would be better. Things were simpler, and people were not pressured to live such flamboyant, crazy lives. They were just content to have a family and raise their kids. All the rest of the stuff just wasnt important. I do want to bring up another point, however, and that is that in Mona Lisa Smile's time, women were not allowed the liberties that they are allowed today. There was an expectation that the woman would be a homemaker and that the husband would be the breadwinner. As a highly motivated person, I would have had a problem with this, as I cant convince myself that having kids and being a homemaker would completely fulfill me. So, it is a conundrum that I present, for, if we go back to a simpler time, we give up freedom, and if we stay here, we deal with immorality. Maybe we could all just try a little harder to be better people and teach our kids good values, and hopefully we can reverse the lack of values in this country.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home