Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What I've learned about....

The United Methodist Church. I have always been a member of the United Methodist Church. My dad is a pastor for the UMC, so I've always attended. I went through the process of confirmation, which is the UMC equivalent of joining the church. This happened for me in the 7th grade, and I was really confident in my decision. Lately though, Ive learned more than I ever thought I could because I've been working on the other side of the story. I work with the 6th grade confirmation class at Highland Park United Methodist Church, and I have really learned so much about my church. It's been really good. I think that what HPUMC does for their confirmation kids is fantastic. They take them through a year of peparation where they learn all about the Methodist standpoint on various theological issues and then at the end, they have the option (but not the requirement) to join the church. The reason I think this is such a good idea is because they dont have religion forced on them. I feel that if you have your decisions made for you, you'll probably not stay as strong in your faith as you would if you decided for yourself. Also, the UMC is unique because of our standing on our "social principles". We have guidelines that are established officially just like any other denomination. Issues like gay marriage, alcohol, etc are all included. The UMC has an official standpoint on alot of issues, but, the thing that I love is that members are allowed to disagree with the principles if they want to. Their standpoint is that as long as you agree on the basics of our theology (Trinity, Resurrection, etc), then it is ok to disagree on the small things. I just love that I can be a part of a church that is as open minded as the UMC. I like that every member of my church doesnt have the same exact opinions as I do, and that we allow people to make up their own minds about their faith, instead of force-feeding them answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home